If you have experienced a sports related injury, you may benefit from a visit with a sports medicine doctor. Sports Medicine is a subspecialty of orthopedics that focuses exclusively on sports-related injuries. Sports medicine orthopedists have additional training on treating and repairing injuries and conditions specifically related to athletes.
How Could You Benefit from a Visit With a Sports Medicine Doctor?
Whether you are a weekend warrior who plays in a recreational league, or a dedicated athlete, if you are experiencing a sports-related injury, a sports medicine doctor can help. In fact, it is the goal of a sports medicine professional to have our patients return to their sport of choice as quickly and safely as possible. Furthermore, sports medicine professionals are dedicated to helping patients improve performance, recover from injury, and prevent future injuries. Benefits of visiting a Sports Medicine Doctor include:
- Experts in the field: Sports Medicine is a recognized subspecialty by the American Board of Medical Subspecialties and by Medicare. Sports Medicine professionals are fellowship trained and board certified.
- Dedicated to providing care to a variety of injuries: From overuse injuries to acute injuries, sports medicine doctors have a wide area of expertise in treating sports injuries through conservative and surgical techniques.
- Preventative Care: Sports Medicine professionals strive to help patients stay injury free through the use of preventive approaches, proper technique, and education.
- Improved Performance: Through the use of proper techniques and increased mobility and strength, sports medicine doctors can aid patients in performance improvement while decreasing the future chance of injury.
- Quicker Recovery: It is the goal of a Sports Medicine doctor to help patients recover quicker from sports related injury. This is accomplished through proper diagnosis and treatment. When possible, minimally-invasive treatment methods are utilized.
- Prevention of Future Injuries: Education on best practices and sports related counseling can assist patients with avoiding future injuries.
- Assistance with Sports Related Questions: Sports Medicine doctors can advise patients on proper nutrition and supplements, as well as strategies for obtaining sports related goals.
For the reasons above, regardless of whether you have a sprained ankle or a torn ACL, we recommend you seek treatment from a sports medicine provider who is well versed in injuries of this type.
At Southshore Orthopedics, we are dedicated to providing our sports medicine patients with unparalleled care. It is our goal to have our patients back in the game as soon as possible. Learn more about our sports medicine program and request an appointment today.